Friday, June 12, 2015

Digital Dash Documentation, Part 1: Apps and Add-ons



This is the first part of my digital dash documentation.  Although the digital dash is, of course, a Tasker project, it relies on a number of other pieces for its functionality.  This section of the documentation lists those and briefly describes what they’re used for. Later sections will break down the Tasker code in great detail.

Apps

Tasker – Obviously.  Without this app I couldn't have created the project.  The mere existence of Tasker makes Android vastly superior to IOS for projects of this type.
Torque – The foundation app.  Provides engine information, mileage, and GPS data.  Other information on the main screen is provided by scenes overlaid on Torque.
Google Maps – Used for Navigation and just generally knowing where I am.
MyRadar – Provides localized weather radar; important when you are out in a convertible and there are dark clouds coming up in front of you.
TWC – The Weather Channel app.  Gives more detail about localized weather conditions and forecasts.
GPS Status – Used mainly to download updates of GPS Assist data.  It also has a wealth of information about satellite connections that is best viewed when parked.
PowerAmp – Local music playback.  Chosen because it is well-supported via Tasker actions.
Pandora – Internet radio.  Also easy to work with in Tasker.
Scanner Radio – Provides localized access to LEA radio and weather alerts.

Add-ons

ActionBox – Used to control PowerAmp's EQ functions
AutoInput – Used to simulate screen taps to turn multi-touch operations into programmatically controlled functions.
AutoLocation – Used to get GPS bearing data that drives the on-screen compass.  Also used to get GPS speed data for display over Google Maps.
AutoNotification – Used to scrape track and artist info from Pandora’s “now playing” notification and bring it into Tasker.
AutoRemote – Used to send messages from the phone to the tablet. (Mainly just temperature data at the moment.)
AutoShare – Used to play specific songs in PowerAmp by sending a “Search and Play” intent.  It also acts as the media control interface for PowerAmp.

(As you may have guessed from the last five entries, I’m a big fan of joaomgcd's AutoApps suite of Tasker plugins.)

BusyBox - Used for its inclusion of the “tail” shell command which allows for the reading of the last line of a file.  This is used to read Torque’s data log to bring in the “Estimated Distance To Empty” value to Tasker.
Keyguard - Used to turn on the tablet and phone.
Secure Settings – Used to initiate the Bluetooth tethering connection between the phone and the tablet.


3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Mike,
I would like to talk to you about your setup and my setup. I had a 2004 BMW 645ci convertible, but I had to get a car that was practical for a car seat for my daughter. Looks like in your tags you have a Z3 right? Anyways, I had seen this device for some Toyota & Lexus vehicles called an iVic. It enables you to mirror your phone's screen onto your car's navigation screen. If you are not familiar with it, then check out this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-i7m3tEUoc
So I figured if I had to get rid of my BMW then I would at least get something with some technology so I got a 2011 Lexus CT 200h (basically the Lexus version of a Prius)
To connect your phone to the iVic, you are supposed to use a MHL adapter that goes to the HDMI input. I took it a step further and for a while I was using a Samsung Allshare Dongle that does wireless mirroring. That was working ok for a while, but now I am using a Chromecast. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 loaded with Cyanogenmod 12.1 . I was using Llama for a while but recently I have switched over to Tasker. When my phone connects to my car's bluetooth I my phone turns on the wifi hotspot so my Chromecast can connect to it, my GPS turns on, then there is a pause for about 22 seconds to give the Chromecast time to boot and connect, then I have Autoinput start casting my screen, then turn off the screen on my phone because if the screen stays on the battery drains. It works right most of the time. What I would like to do is when my phone connects to my car's bluetooth, get a voice prompt that says "Where do you want to go?" Then I reply and it opens Google Maps and picks the fastest route and shows the directions & traffic. I think I just found some instructions that is going to help me. It's from the creator of Touchless Hangouts http://forum.joaoapps.com/index.php?threads/touchless-hangouts.658/
I would like your input since I am a newbie at Tasker.
Mitchell Llora
mllora81@gmail.com
864.415.4591

Mike said...

Mitchell:

Thanks for the link to the video; I wasn't familiar with that technology, but that is exactly what I would want in a car. I don't care for most of the interfaces that the manufacturers have developed and the idea of being able to mirror my own system to the built-in screen (with full interactivity) is very attractive.
I think you're on the right track with joaoapps. I'm a big fan of them and use quite a few in my project. Voice navigation seems pretty doable. Tasker can give you the voice prompt and then open up Voice Search. Then you just say "Navigate to"...where ever you want to go and Google Maps can take over. I've messed with that a bit, but in a convertible (I do have a Z3.) it's just too noisy. In the Jag, however, it works fine.

Mike